12.05.2011

Nutty Barley Bake


Most of us have eaten barley before (Campbell's Beef Vegetable Soup with Barley, anyone?), but it's not a grain we serve very often. I've always enjoyed the nutty taste of barley, though my exposure was limited mostly to the instant kind from Mr. Quaker, usually in soups. I found this recipe in a Taste of Home cookbook and simply had to try it. We first had this savory dish when some friends came for supper in late summer 2009. With the first bite I knew it would be a keeper. I served this dish at Thanksgiving that same year, and it became a new family favorite.


Nutty Barley Bake (from Taste of Home)

1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup pearl barley
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup minced parsley
1/4 cup sliced green onion
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 14.5 oz cans beef broth, low sodium

Saute onion, barley and pine nuts  in butter until barley is lightly browned.
Stir in parsley, green onion, salt and pepper. Transfer to 2 quart baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 1 hour 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.


I haven't changed a thing from the original recipe. I can't think of a way to make it any better. I've toyed with the idea of using it as a base for a stew, but I've yet to act on it. I'll let you know what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment